background

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Top Two Tuesday - Collections

t

Today's (actually last week's, but I just saw that!!) Top 2 Tuesday blog is about the top 2 things you collect. Of course, I'm sure my family will get a kick out of this as I seem to collect a lot of "stuff"! But if I had to choose, these would be my top 2.


1. Fabric!. Ever since I was in high school and got a part time job at JoAnn Fabrics, I have collected fabric. My parents used to ask if I brought any of my paycheck home or did I spend it all at work on more fabric. Unfortunately I don't think someone who sews (I think the new term is "sewist") can ever feel like they have enough fabric. There is always a new design or a new color that catches your eye and says "please bring me home and make something out of me"! Now that I've started Just Sew! Studio, I actually can say I HAVE to buy more fabric.








2. Pewter! When Dan and I got married (a long time ago - 30 years ago this July to be exact!), pewter was IN. My mother-in-law had lots of pewter, and I thought it was really pretty. There were several shops in the Pompano Beach / Fort Lauderdale area that sold only pewter. So I added it to my wedding registry. I'm glad I did that. Now I have a collection of quite a few things that I display on top of my kitchen cabinets. Steak platter, pitchers, sugar & creamer set, and a Noah's Ark baby plate & cup set ...but I think my favorite is my deviled egg platter!




Just curious. How many other people have a sock collection that keeps growing? I didn't mean to set out collecting socks, but I think my washing machine has set out to drive me crazy. No matter how many matched pairs of socks I put IN the washing machine, they never all come out. I am now the proud owner of an ever growing collection of only one sock from a pair. While we were shopping last Saturday, my sweet middle child (who is almost 21) proceeded to tell me that I could purchase another package of the low cut socks we wear when walking or exercising for about $5. Does she not understand how many times I have done this? Only to find that the new package of socks I purchased have just a little bit different finish around the ankle, different color stitching across the toe, no shaded heel area, etc. and that creates more unmatched socks when I only remove half from the washer. One day there may be only two of us left in the house, and I will send all the leftover, unwanted, unmatched socks to one of my children's homes so they can be obsessed with where did the other sock go! And having a dog who enjoys chewing socks up does not help either.


Happy Tuesday everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment